[XMPP OpMeet] Online meetup for XMPP operators
Good morning, I discussed the idea of having an online meetup between XMPP operators within the operators MUC a few days ago. Due to email migrations I didn't find the time to draft the email, so I apologise for the delay. So presenting the idea and name of "XMPP Op(erator)Meet(up)" or "XMPP OpMeet" for short, and yes I did spend a while trying to find a name for it, and no it doesn't actually matter :p this email is to merely gauge interest in the idea. I would like to take lead on providing the infrastructure, I feel the best bet for this would be a jitsi instance as its fully featured and stable. The idea follows: * Run a Jitsi meeting for the period of a day for operators. * Have a small CfP for any operator who wants to talk or discuss their setup. * Make the meeting accessible for non-operators too, what better way to get people interested in being an operator than let them join a meeting and hear the discussions on the topic. * Jitsi supports breakout rooms (like zoom, but never tried using them) so we could breakout into smaller groups to discuss or deal with specific projects or ideas, in a sprint-style manner, then come together at the end to present what each breakout room got up to over the time? * Maybe if someone is up for it, we can run a workshop in a breakout room for non-operators to learn to setup their first XMPP server using prosody or ejabberd? Anyways to gauge interest please reply with a + if you think this would be a good idea to organise, and a - if you believe this would be a bad idea or wouldn't be interested. You are free to vote on each individual idea bulletpointed above, I will take any - on the individual ideas into account, and drop unpopular ones. If we get enough +'s I will start a poll to vote on the first XMPP OpMeet. Some questions which others might be able to sole: * Timezones? operators are distributed across the globe, how should we account for this? * Any alternative software suggestions? * Any other ideas of what to do during the online meetup? * Does XMPP OpConf sound better/make more sense? Calling it an "online conference" feels wrong as it feels more like an informal meetup, but I don't know, let me know your thoughts! Thanks, -- Polarian Jabber/XMPP: polarian@icebound.dev
Hi all, I like the idea of that meeting, so a big + from my side :-) * Run a Jitsi meeting for the period of a day for operators. + * Have a small CfP for any operator who wants to talk or discuss their setup. + * Make the meeting accessible for non-operators too, what better way to get people interested in being an operator than let them join a meeting and hear the discussions on the topic. + * Jitsi supports breakout rooms (like zoom, but never tried using them) so we could breakout into smaller groups to discuss or deal with specific projects or ideas, in a sprint-style manner, then come together at the end to present what each breakout room got up to over the time? + * Maybe if someone is up for it, we can run a workshop in a breakout room for non-operators to learn to setup their first XMPP server using prosody or ejabberd? + * Any other ideas of what to do during the online meetup? I would like to see a discussion about: do's/do not's in xmpp federation (best practice), e. g. enabling/disabling dialback (pros/cons), enabling/disabling s2s-keepalive (pros/cons), etc. I also like the idea of discussing "errors/warnings I see in my server log - meanings and how to avoid/repair them - should I care or can I ignore?" Hope this help somehow :-) Greetings from Germany XMPP/Jabber: dora71(at)xmpp.dohdom.de
Sorry for replying here i dont have the original email... Anyone knows if there is any Code of Conduct for these meetings? Also what guidelines the operators will follow to stop harm in the network or for people that use their server? There is also the JoinJabber server covenant to have a look at. Regards, MSavoritias On 6/7/26 12:10, informatik@dohdom.de wrote:
Hi all,
I like the idea of that meeting, so a big + from my side :-)
* Run a Jitsi meeting for the period of a day for operators. + * Have a small CfP for any operator who wants to talk or discuss their setup. + * Make the meeting accessible for non-operators too, what better way to get people interested in being an operator than let them join a meeting and hear the discussions on the topic. + * Jitsi supports breakout rooms (like zoom, but never tried using them) so we could breakout into smaller groups to discuss or deal with specific projects or ideas, in a sprint-style manner, then come together at the end to present what each breakout room got up to over the time? + * Maybe if someone is up for it, we can run a workshop in a breakout room for non-operators to learn to setup their first XMPP server using prosody or ejabberd? +
* Any other ideas of what to do during the online meetup? I would like to see a discussion about: do's/do not's in xmpp federation (best practice), e. g. enabling/disabling dialback (pros/cons), enabling/disabling s2s-keepalive (pros/cons), etc.
I also like the idea of discussing "errors/warnings I see in my server log - meanings and how to avoid/repair them - should I care or can I ignore?"
Hope this help somehow :-)
Greetings from Germany XMPP/Jabber: dora71(at)xmpp.dohdom.de
Hey Msavoritias,
Anyone knows if there is any Code of Conduct for these meetings?
I am aware that some people will disagree on this, but I wasn't going to spend ages writing a long CoC. In general it will be "abide by the XSF CoC", or simply "don't be an arsehole". I don't find spending lots of time refining a long complex CoC is a good allocation of time. Quite simply, if someone is being an arsehole, they will be booted.
Also what guidelines the operators will follow to stop harm in the network or for people that use their server?
The hosting will be provided by me, seen as I am calling the meetup, its only fair I fund it. This also eliminates the whole concern about malicious use of the services because I will be the one which is providing them.
There is also the JoinJabber server covenant to have a look at.
I am aware JoinJabber feels strongly about extensive and restrictive CoC, however I do not believe this will be beneficial for the meetup. We want people to feel included, but also not so restricted on topics they can talk about. Notably, paid providers might want to attend, and this would specifically make the no capitalism clause of the JoinJabber CoC exclude such people. For this reason, I want to KISS [1]. I can assure you, if someone is being offensive or generally just being an arsehole, they will be booted. However I understand this conflicts with your beliefs, it would be nice to have you attend, but I will not exclude others to do so. Hope you understand. Take care, -- Polarian Jabber/XMPP: polarian@icebound.dev [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
As an old XMPP user and recent home-server operator, that sounds like a wonderful idea! IMHO the agenda should be published as widely as possible and allow for people to drop in and out. For example, people just interested in starting with XMPP, might want to join just a few BoFs, not the whole day. Dne nedelja, 7. junij 2026 ob 03:08:31 Srednjeevropski poletni čas je Polarian napisal(a):
* Any alternative software suggestions?
BigBlueButton is used for few-to-many presentations and scales really well (I’ve been on webinars with hundreds of people attending). It is primarily intended for webinars/conference-style online events and also supports breakouts etc. I don’t have admin/set-up experience with either Jitsi on BBB, so can only comment on the user/participant side. cheers, Matija -- gsm: tel:+386.41.849.552 www: https://matija.suklje.name xmpp: hook@campfire.wheremymonkeyis.at matrix: @hook:kompot.si
Hey,
IMHO the agenda should be published as widely as possible and allow for people to drop in and out. For example, people just interested in starting with XMPP, might want to join just a few BoFs, not the whole day.
This is already planned, I will publish an agenda after the mini CfP with a list of things people want done, whether it is talks and presentations which because its done online we will hopefully get a few volunteers. So yeah you can just check the agenda and join the meeting as you please. Already planning on this, we also all need time to take a step away to take a break, in which the meeting will just likely be random chatter. Also as I said, if we use jitsi we can have breakout rooms, or hell we could totally have several meetings for different things, and then you can just click the corresponding thing on the agenda you want to join and then join the corresponding meeting for it. I am unsure how many people we will have interested in this however, I would assume on the initial try of this it will only be a few, so best not to go too big and be disappointed.
BigBlueButton is used for few-to-many presentations and scales really well (I’ve been on webinars with hundreds of people attending). It is primarily intended for webinars/conference-style online events and also supports breakouts etc.
I believe the free software foundation use it across their organisation. The reason I am in favour of using Jitsi, is I believe its far lighter to deploy, and secondly, it is built on XMPP, it literally integrates directly with prosody which people on the list are likely to know well. I feel like we should support XMPP based software, for XMPP based events. Thats just my opinion, if people want big blue button I can look at deploying that instead? I am also not against taking on volunteers to help make this happen, my only concern would be trust, I really don't want the initial run of this to be spoilt because someone I trusted to help out decided to throw a hissy fit and kick a bunch of people they don't like, as an example.
I don’t have admin/set-up experience with either Jitsi on BBB, so can only comment on the user/participant side.
Ah, well I have some knowledge of jitsi, I have used it and I have played with deploying it a long long time ago, so honestly its been a good few years since I have deployed it. it couldn't have changed that much I hope :p Anyways thanks for the suggestions, and I hope my response clears up some of your questions. Take care, -- Polarian Jabber/XMPP: polarian@icebound.dev
we could use nextcloud? I have a working hpb (high performance backend for nextcloud talk). what about that? you don't need an own nextcloud account, you can just take part via a share link. Best Regards, Stefan
Dne ponedeljek, 8. junij 2026 ob 20:49:29 Srednjeevropski poletni čas je Polarian napisal(a):
The reason I am in favour of using Jitsi, is I believe its far lighter to deploy, and secondly, it is built on XMPP, it literally integrates directly with prosody which people on the list are likely to know well.
I feel like we should support XMPP based software, for XMPP based events. Thats just my opinion, if people want big blue button I can look at deploying that instead?
I’m in favour of that (and the logic behind it), as long as the Jitsi server is capable of hosting all the people. Let’s first see how many people show interest. Will there be an informal RSVP? cheers, Matija -- gsm: tel:+386.41.849.552 www: https://matija.suklje.name xmpp: hook@campfire.wheremymonkeyis.at matrix: @hook:kompot.si
participants (6)
-
informatik@dohdom.de -
Lilith MaskedWitch -
Matija Šuklje -
MSavoritias -
Polarian -
stefan@jabber.world