[GSoC] Multiple students for one project

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue Mar 25 05:05:15 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering about what would happen in a situation where, in the
top 10 of project proposals, 2 of the same projects are chosen. The
opinion of the people I talked to seems to be that only one of the
projects is selected, but I wonder if that is really the philosophy
behind GSoC. I guess the main question is: is GSoC about the students
(getting open source experience, while being useful), or about the XSF
(getting progress on software fronts, while giving students a job).

To me, it doesn't sound fair that 2 good students apply for a
proposal, and yet one of them doesn't get it, while another bad
proposal gets accepted because there was nobody else. This also seems
to encourage people to make as many project proposals as they can,
which would result in a non-optimal situation where most students get
assigned a project that they have *some* interest in, whereas they
could have had a project they were passionate about (and make a lot
more progress).

If our opinion is that a student can get only one task, then the whole
GSoC proposal system is lacking a very important input, namely for the
students to be able to grade how important a project is to them.

cheers,
Remko