[IOT] Reference implementation

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Thu Aug 21 16:31:14 UTC 2014

On August 21, 2014 5:40:49 PM CEST, Peter Waher <Peter.Waher at clayster.com> wrote:
>Hello Eelco
>
>We are currently writing a book ("Learning Internet of Things") which
>will include source code for a sensor, actuator, camera, controller and
>a protocol bridge. This code includes support for XMPP, MQTT, CoAP,
>UPnP and HTTP. It is not yet public, but will be soon. This free code
>supports XEPs 0323, 0324, 0325 (not 0326), 0347 & 0348. (We also
>license our Clayster platform, which has a much more extensive support
>for extensions and protocols.)

First off, looking forward to this!

Not to rain on your parade or diminish the huge amount of work you've put into this, but all of these specifications are currently Experimental. Are you addressing the possibility that any of them might incur (significant) changes after the release of your book?

FWIW I am still planning to go through all of the IoT related specs with a fresh look. I know this is quite a task, but this should be done eventually, hopefully by a bunch of people. From what I remember when accepting (formally not-objecting to) these XEPs, they are quite lengthy. Also, you've reported some issues with reusing existing building blocks. I hope to give you more actionable feedback soonish.

--
Cheers,

ralphm